Hi I’m Kelly and welcome to my site! When shopping for a hair straightener the options are endless and it can get a bit overwhelming knowing what to look for.
With so many different plate materials, sizes, widths, temperature settings, and other fancy features it’s hard to know where to start!
To get on the right track it pays to at least narrow the options down to the ones that are going to be best for your particular hair type.
It also pays to think about what you’d like your device to do. Do you want that super straight sleek look, or waves, curls, or even some volume? Or maybe you want it all? Many irons are versatile and can have you whipping up a variety of hot styles in no time!
With so many different types of hair we all share I have attempted to make your decision process a little easier by categorizing the irons depending on what they can do and the type of hair they are best suited for.
Many are great for all types and will overlap, but some specialize in certain thicknesses and lengths and will do a much better job on these hair types.
If you are a seasoned straightener then below is a list of what I believe are the top flat irons on the market today.
Best Flat Irons In 2021
Choosing the Right Flat Iron for Your Needs
With so many different heads of hair out there it’s important to know what to look for in a straightener for your particular mane. One size does not fit all in the flat iron world! We have compiled a range of hair types along with our choice of straightener options most suited to that type.
Of course there is some over-lap and this is only a guide, but we hope it will assist you look for a styling tool best suited to you and your needs. We have also included the most bang for your buck iron and best professional flat irons.
The Best Hair Flat Irons
2. HSI Professional 1 inch Glider Ceramic Flat Iron
Best Professional Choice
- 100% true solid ceramic tourmaline 1 inch plates
- Advanced infrared heat technology.
- Digital LCD adjustable temps 240F to 450F
- Suits all hair types, even thick
- Flip & Curl: Round Body Shape Design Allows Unique Flips & Curling Styles
- Easy to use ergonomic design
- Includes Free heat glove, 5ml Argan oil leave in conditioner
- Swivel cord
- Dual voltage
Hair trends come and go but sleek straight hair will always be hot! For the ladies who love this look then the Glider is for you.
This versatile flat iron boasts a radical ceramic ionic system for super hydrated and shiny hair, combined with infrared technology which instantly transforms your dull frizzy locks into salon straight hair. Suits all hair types, even thick locks – with all those negative ions packed in there, it’s bye bye static and hello sleek!
2. HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron
Best Budget Flat Iron
- 1 inch solid ceramic tourmaline plates
- Quick flash heating
- Advanced infrared heat technology to help sort the frizz
- Adjustable temperature from 240F to 400F
- Use with fine to coarse hair – all types
- Straighten, flip & curl
- Includes conditioning Argan Oil leave-in treatment
- Swivel cord
- Worldwide dual voltage compatible 110v-220v
With thousands of happy customers who can argue? This very affordable iron has all the fancy features, top notch technology and a great price tag! And did I mention it comes with free-bees? The HSI Professional Glider suits all hair types and allows for versatile styling with it’s ergonomically designed handle and contoured edges.
3. VOLOOM Hair Volumizing Iron
Best Volumizing Flat Iron
- Adds volume to your hair, as opposed to other flat irons that can flatten hair
- Unique crimp-style plates volumize hair for days, saving you time & money
- Lifts the roots up and gives the appearance of fuller hair
- Great for those with dry, damaged, limp, thin hair, or if you just need a lift
- Perfect for medium to long hair & the Pink Petite is ideal for short to medium
Pump up the volume with the revolutionary this little beauty. The VOLOOM Hair Volumizing Iron is ideal for those with flat, limp, or thinner hair in need of some lift. Designed to be used only at the root of the hair where it is healthier and therefore doesn’t damage the finer more delicate ends.
4. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron
Best Titanium-Plated Flat Iron
- Available in 1, 1-1/2″, and 2 inch plates
- Ultra thin & lightweight
- Extra-long 5″ plates for wider sectioning
- Adjustable temps up to 450°F
- Suits all hair types, especially good on long and thick hair
- Super fast heating with nano titanium plates
- Ergonomic design
With a selection of plate sizes available this titanium hotty will blow your socks off. Suits all hair types and makes ironing a breeze with its extra light and thin sleek design. With super fast heating, long plates and toasty titanium – you’ll be out the door in no time.
The far-infrared heat produced by the nano titanium penetrates the hair for gentle straightening without causing damage. Makes for easy styling for those with long manes.
5. Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Best Tourmaline Flat Iron
- 1 inch plates
- Oil-infused tourmaline ceramic technology
- 15-second heat up
- Unique blend of oils
- 30 adjustable heat settings up to 455F
- Floating plate to straighten or flip hair
- Longer than standard plates
- High shine and smoothness
- Auto off
This purple Pro packs a punch to those annoying flyaway hairs and has them nourished, silky smooth, and as straight as an arrow in no time.
With the Argon oil infusion this tourmaline straightener provides high shine, conditions and delivers healthy-looking hair to have you salon sleek in a flash.
Suits all hair types, but with the gentle tourmaline gems and anti-frizz abilities it is super kind to finer, frizzy hair types. More on the terrific tourmaline here.
6. Remington S7330 Wet 2 Straight Hair Straightener
Best Wet-to-Dry Flat Iron
- Comes in both 1 and 1 & ¾ inch ceramic-coated plates
- 30 second heat up
- Steam vents allow styling right out of the shower
- 30 heat settings up to 420F
- Drys and straightens in one step
- Suits all hair types
- Auto shut-off
- Swivel cord
- 2 year warranty
This iron is designed to save you time by cutting out the need to blow-dry your hair first. The vents all the way along the straightener allow the steam from the drying hair to escape. Some say it doesn’t actually dry the hair properly though and can leave you with semi-dry, straight hair – this is typical feedback for all wet-2-straight models, however.
Other customers rave about it saying they are very happy with it’s performance. Not an iron to be used everyday perhaps, but great for those days where you just want to get up and get going without compromising on the hair! Easier to take on those overnighters than the blow dryer AND an iron.
7. The BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron
Best Silicone Flat Iron
- Comes in 1 inch and 1.5 inch
- Multi-level heat control up to 400F
- Great for all hair types, esp curly, fine, dry
- Silicone Speed Strips provide for a fast & smooth and snag-free straighten
- NanoIonic mineral push water molecules into the hair making it silky and smooth
- Hydrates dry, damaged hair
- Smoothes fly-aways and controls frizz
- Ergonomic design for easy use
- Swivel cord
Who doesn’t like the sound of ONE PASS? Now that’s a time saver. This popular professional iron comes in 2 handy plate sizes for versatility and suits all hair types. It is particularly great for curly, dry and finer hair types with it’s exceptional hydrating properties. The silicone strips allow for a smoother, faster straighten. Thicker, longer locks may need two passes.
8. xtava Pro Satin Infrared Hair Straightener
Best Flat Iron for Coarse Hair
- 2 inch ceramic tourmaline floating plates
- Infrared heat technology locks in shine
- LCD digital display
- 10 temperature settings 265 – 445F
- Microprocessor to ensure even heat up
- 90 second rapid heat up
- Auto shut off
- Swivel cord
- Dual voltage
This black beauty is perfect for taming those thick, coarse manes. Designed with thicker-haired gals in mind the generous 2 inch plates provide polished locks and struggle-free styling. The infrared heat technology keeps hair hydrated and gives you a satin finish.
Being dual voltage and coming with a heat-resistant travel bag means you don’t have to leave this baby at home.
Top Flat Iron Choices for Long, Thick & African American Hair
Key features recommended for these hair types:
- Quality plate materials – solid ceramic with tourmaline or titanium
- Extra goodies like infrared to fight the frizz is a bonus
- Nice wide plate to get more heat on hair time
- Long plates are great for long hair – less sectioning
- Ergonomically friendly to avoid arm cramp
- Adjustable temps up to 425-450F
- Auto off is handy dandy
- Swivel cord
If you have a long thick mane of hair that needs taming then we have the 3 best straighteners for thick hair right here. This type of hair can be a struggle to straighten, and its key to look for an iron that is light-weight, durable, has high quality plate materials, gets nice and hot, plenty of those negative ions to combat the frizz, and a generous plate size to get all those precious locks straightened.
Still Stuck Choosing a Flat Iron? Maybe This Will Help…
If you’ve got this far and are still feeling a bit bamboozled then keep reading to see if we can narrow your selection down some more. I’ll run through the different qualities an iron needs for different hair types, name drop some of the best flat iron brands, and touch on the different plate materials there are to choose from as well.
Which Flat Iron is Best for My Hair Type?
Lucky for you we have dedicated a whole post to this. You can find everything you need to know about which straighteners are best suited to which hair types right here. With the abundance of irons out there there will always be a number of hot options suited to your hair. Then it simply comes down to personal preference and budget.
Which are the Best Brands of Flat Irons?
We have selected the top selling flat iron & hair straightener brands and written a brief on each company to give you an understanding of their background, company values, size and dedication to research and development.
What Flat Iron Plate Material Should I Choose?
The plate material you select depends on the type of hair you have, your budget, other features of the iron, and what priority you place on it. There are 3 main materials used in plates and they are; ceramic, tourmaline and titanium. Some are often used in combination for better results.
They all have their unique abilities, pluses and minuses. Because the plate is the part of the iron that makes contact with your hair, it’s not something that should be compromised on in my opinion.
Check out our comparison chart and learn more about each of these materials and what they can do for your for your hair.
There are other materials used in some of the cheaper straighteners such as glass, silicone, etc. They don’t usually fair up as well as the trusty 3 however, so be mindful when selecting.
Hopefully you are on track now and have more of an idea on the type of hair flat iron you are after. Feel free to have a look around the site, there is plenty of helpful information and reviews on some of the most popular hair straightening irons, along with links to check them out, and plenty of customer feedback.
Thanks for visiting!